The Head Of Millstonegame The Head Of Millstonegame

Hmm

This seemed reasonably enjoyable (if not a little crude) until I reached the second level and the screen turned green and the game froze up. I reloaded it and it did it again, so I'm guessing that's a pretty big glitch you've got there. Also, at one point on the first level my HP dropped almost immediately to zero when I was in a safe area, so I have no idea what's going on there!

Anyway, the style is pretty charming and the gameplay is reliably standard so fix up some of the bugs and I'd play this again.

Let's Type Let's Type

Simple but pretty fun

I got to the second to last stage and then my leet typing skills failed me :( Pretty fun game!

Brackenwood: The Game Brackenwood: The Game

Interesting idea...

...but it's broken. Not only is it FAR too hard for the average player, but after finally getting to the final stage and managing to get through without hitting anything, I was told I'd failed. I repeated the stage to check I hadn't accidentally hit something, but no - you simply get to the end of the stage (when all the blocks have disappeared) and you automatically fail.

Anyway, it's an interesting idea and I liked the challenge of learning the block positions and timing, but it's a shame you can't complete it and I imagine the majority of players will be extremely annoyed with the difficulty.

Kwing responds:

In the last level, you need to be perceptive. Ever notice how the 3 Waterlollies you jump over vanish as you jump over them? Huge hint: When you clear the 3rd one, jump over Bigfoot and go back left.

Tech-Avoider Tech-Avoider

Just a bit flawed

I like what you've tried to do here, but there's just too many problems with it. First, the game is just too hard - don't get me wrong, I quite like a challenge in a game but it's far too easy to dodge something only to be stuck in a position where it's impossible to escape losing. Equally, the cursor is just too big and makes it stupidly hard at times to move between falling blocks.

Second, you HAVE to sort out the sound - I have no real problem with the choice of music, but it plays over itself every time you press 'replay'. There are plenty of really simple Actionscript tutorials that will show you how to make a sound start playing and not repeat itself.

Third - and by far the most important point - the whole 'move the cursor about to dodge moving stuff' is possibly the most cliched type of game you get on Newgrounds. I'm not saying you can't make a fun game using this idea, but it's been done hundreds of times before and in many cases much better.

Anyway, it's a brave attempt at something new so just work on something with more depth and iron out some of the technical problems.

Kwing responds:

I can fix the sound repeating now... But I won't because I'm lazy.
stopAllSounds();

Space Racer - Demo 2 Space Racer - Demo 2

Flawed, but not bad

I really like the idea of this and you've got most of the basics sorted, which is great. However, there are a few significant problems I've found with the game - hopefully you can improve on the following:

Selecting your character doesn't always work properly. For example, I chose the guy with the tiny red eyes and the massive black hair/helmet, but in the game it showed me as the weird red lips thing.

There is a very-easily exploitable bug in the game's code - you can simply start a course and reverse/accelerate over the blue starting line a few times to finish the race. While I don't know anything about making this kinda game in Flash, I'm assuming that when the player's vehicle makes contact with the bar the game registers this as a completed lap. Seeing as how you can simply cheat and complete a 3-lap course in about five seconds, you probably want to fix this!

Another problem with the lap system is that the course will end when you start the third lap, not when you've finished it. This again appears to be a problem caused by the starting bar - because you get placed right before it at the start of a course, you have to go through it, and this makes the game think you've completed your first lap. I'm sure there's a more solid way of fixing this, but in the mean time you could simply make the player appear in front of the bar.

Other than that, it's just minor stuff like perhaps having a few different music tracks and adding stats for the different vehicles. Still, what you've got here is pretty good and despite the obvious flaws it's actually pretty fun to play.

I really look forward to seeing the finished version of this, good luck with it!

Happy Tetris Happy Tetris

I agree with the last review

This is the third 'new' Tetris game I've played on NG in the last half a week and the whole thing is getting a little stale now. Don't get me wrong though, you've made a decent attempt to make the graphics a bit better than the average Tetris game and it's good there's some music.

However, keep in mind there was a Tetris game the other day that was only 64kb (which is incredible) and it had loads of songs, a really awesome moving background, a cool difficulty setting and had a bunch of great features like showing you what block was coming next, and also the music got faster if you were 'dying'.

So yeah, there's nothing wrong with your game as such, but with the above stuff in mind it's clear there's certainly a lot more you could have added to your game. Still, it's fairly entertaining (it is Tetris afterall), so good job on that.

Tetris Craze Tetris Craze

Hmmm

Technically there's nothing 'wrong' as such with this submission, but the problem is there was a different Tetris game submitted a few days ago that was awesome - it had loads of different songs, showed you what the next block was going to be (something you should definitely put in any future Tetris games), had various difficulty options to choose from and was generally very smooth and very polished. Furthermore, the filesize came to an astounding 64kb, which is Flash compression at its best.

Thus, the fact your Tetris game is 2mb+ and is easily the weaker of the two games means it's hard to give it a good score. However, you've got the basic structure of a decent Tetris game down, so with a few extras like being able to see the next block, some different music, perhaps a few neat backgrounds and a smaller file size you could be on to a winner.

Good luck!

Seandadj responds:

thanks for reviewing, ill keep what you said in mind. :)

Megaman X Virus Mission 2 Megaman X Virus Mission 2

Great!

I thought this was a lot of fun to play - there are some great little touches to the combat system and you know how to animate sprites really well. It was perhaps a little short, but other than that, good job! I look forward to the next one.

Tetris 64k Tetris 64k

Not too bad

I usually rate Tetris games on NG pretty low because, let's be honest, it's just the same thing over and over again. However, this one just seemed to work really well, had a decent skill level thing at the start, and is probably the first Tetris game on NG which has been suitably compressed - 64kb, for this, is very impressive.

Good job!

AtemiS-Starburst responds:

Thank you :D, this is very apreciated !

Breakout: Transfer Breakout: Transfer

Hmmm

The game is far too random to play/control, it seems almost random who ends up winning. The problem is that the ball seems to react extremely unrealistically when hitting your paddle, and you have hardly any space to move your paddle around. Still, it's not too bad, and is an interesting twist to the old Breakout formula.

One last thing - I could not for the life of me remember what the music you use was ripping off, until I remembered this video I'd seen on YouTube - search for 'Web 2.0 ... The Machine is Us/ing Us'.